Friday, February 8, 2008

Catch-up




Friday, February 8, 2008



Six more days until Pitchers and Catchers Day. It seems like Roger Clemens is digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole. But then, who keeps bloody syringes and vials and needles around for seven years? This is all weird. There has to be Roger's DNA and HGH or steroids in the same syringe, needle or vial. Even then it could be argued that when McNamee was injecting him with Lidocaine (so Roger says), he may have transferred that blood over to the syringes, needles, other bottles. However this turns out, Roger's career is over. This black cloud will never go away.

Late breaking news--McNamee testified today to Congress that he injected Roger's wife with HGH as she was preparing for a spread in Sports Illustrated five years ago. How much better can all of this get?

And Pedro? What was he thinking? I try to understand what other cultures do but sometimes it is just too violent. Pedro says he was at the cock fight as a guest and not as a participant. Do guests really throw the roosters or hens or whatever into the ring? This will take a little swift PR to make right again also.


Radomski gets five years probation? What is that about? He was the major seller of steroids and HGH to some of MLB and he gets five years probation? I guess he sang a lot to the feds so that is counting for something.


These guys are as crazy as Britney sometimes.

I just want to go to Yankee stadium with my kids, have a hot dog, a beer and watch a game. Is that so much to ask? I am even willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money to do that. Can't all this other junk go away?


Aha. Here is a great idea. Susan was visiting her sister in New Orleans for Mardi Gras.





And this is what my sister was looking at for Mardi Gras or the next day.

















And this is what my brother Bob was looking at in Orlando the same day. I don't really think that is him in the middle of the pool though.











Since I last wrote I finished reading John
Grisham's "The Innocent Man". Although
I used to enjoy his writing I haven't read it
in awhile. This was his first non-fiction book
so I thought I would give it a try. It wasn't.
It was about a wrongfully convicted
man sent to prison and almost to the
electric chair for a crime which DNA proved
he did not commit. He had been on Death
Row for about 11 years and had a serious
mental deterioration. It was all quite
pathetic and would have gained more of my
sympathy if, in fact, the man was adecent human being to start with. Although not guilty of the hideous murder
of the young woman, he was nevertheless
pretty much a low life psychopath who
probably did need to be locked somewhere
that someone else could manage his
behavior. The book just seemed to point
out the worst in everyone-the police in
Ada OK, the corrections officers, the DA,
the judges, on and on and on. All pretty
depressing to read. And then JG's note at
end saying that OK is not unique in
this area, that all of these "missteps"
of justice are very common.







I am now reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel
Garcia Marquez. I didn't realize at first that it was an Oprah pick as I usually steer clear of them. But I had heard so much about this book that I bought it. It is actually an excellent book so far and he is an excellent, excellent author.








Is there anything more that can be said about the Giants? Not being an avid football fan, I turned the Super Bowl on for the first five minutes, half time and the last ten minutes. If you didn't get excited watching the last ten minutes of this game, you are dead.


And last but not least- While I was in Michigan I went with Karen to a yarn shop in Caro. (I think it was 6 degrees that afternoon.) The shop had nothing but wonderful yarn. No dollar a pound worsted there. I found a pattern for a beautiful cable sweater-knit from the neck down on round needles, leaving absolutely no seams to sew. And then the knitting guru in the store directed me towards some alpaca yard. It is probably the most extravagant that I have ever been buying yarn but it is beautiful. It feels like it is a life project.
Yesterday afternoon I cleaned out all my yarn, needles and patterns. Pretty pathetic. There is an entire cedar chest full of yarn and now an underbed container seems to have found its way under my bed and filled itself with yarn. I would make every single pattern given the time. I really have to start making neonatal blankets, booties, hats, nursing home afghans again and use up some of this yarn. But, of course.













No comments: