Saturday, February 16, 2008

Ugh!



Saturday, February 16, 2008

Ugh! There have been three rip-outs since the last picture but I think it is going better now. This is one of those patterns where you have to really look at almost every stitch. There are 32 rows to the pattern and this is about 29 of them so I am almost ready to do the second repeat. I do this for the length of the shoulder from the crewneck collar to the top of the arm. It's fun but ripping out is pretty exasperating.

I watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" last night. I had never seen it
and it was actually a pretty good movie. I loved Audrey Hepburn in it and was pleasantly surprised that she was, in my opinion, such a good actress. Somehow she always seemed like a twit to me. It is like she had a couple of lives as she recreated herself and became a spokesperson for UN Children's committees and did an incredible amount of charity work later in her life.
Most of the time old movies seem just that to me-old movies. The story line and outcome are pretty predictable after watching the first five minutes or so and they didn't vary much from movie to movie. This was true to form. Very predictable but AH definitely made it light and fun. The innocence in them is laughable. George Pepard's character was a man who was being "kept" by an older woman. There was a lot of daahlings and air kisses and that was pretty much it. Nothing very scandalous and then he ended the relationship. Didn't seem like there was much to end.

Last week I had watched "Bringing Up Baby" with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. Although she was absolutely delightful in it, he seemed pretty foolish but that was the character. It seems that the male/female relationships were often portrayed as quite frivulous and silly.




Lee Miller. There was an article about her recently in Newseek magazine that caught my eye. She was a model in the late 20s, early 30s. She was another woman who recreated herself and moved behind the camera becoming a photographer herself. She traveled the world, had a number of marriages and many love affairs. She became a war correspondent (photographer) during World War II and actually rode in with the U.S. Army into Germany, photographing the corpses and ovens in Buchenwald and Dachau.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art has opened an exhibition of 140 of her photographs. It is on my "to do"list.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

George Peppard? Wow. It's kind of sad that the only thing I know him from is "The A-Team".

Elizabeth said...

I read that article on Lee Miller. Seemed like she had an interesting life.