Thursday, July 10, 2008

Books


Thursday, July 10, 2008
I finished reading "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain. It was pretty good but definitely exposes the culinary world as a pretty harsh, nasty arena. It doesn't make you want to not eat the food because there are rat droppings in it or the kitchen staff spits in it or any of those wonderful things. It is just a very tough career pockmarked with lots of drugs and alcohol and tobacco. You practically feel your coronary arteries flapping closed just reading about all the food. There is no concept of healthy eats at all except there is an awful lot about pretty disgusting seafood. I would guess that I did not know probably 60% of what they were talking about when they were talking about menus, sauces, etc.
I started Janet Evanovich's next book today. It seems like it is about a two day read because I had to do yard work and get the shelter's newsletter out today. Otherwise, it would be a one day read. She is so good. No great literature here but very entertaining.
I keep thinking about knitting. Just haven't pulled it out yet. I am thinking that I am going to tear out my life sweater and start over. I still know that there is a mistake in it that most people would never ever see. Besides that, the directions are so complicated that you really need to keep in the flow to know where you're at. It will take me as long to figure out where I am in all of the patterns as it will to start over and do it perfectly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One day book? That almost seems preternatural.